Unique Gemstone Jewellery Design
If you want to create an unusual and unique piece of gemstone jewellery, there are two main aspects to consider: -
1) A statement design
2) Materials that will stand out in a crowd.
For example, a short, single-strand necklace with a clasp on the end would typically call for carefully arranged gemstones descending in size. Tweak this design and alternate your large and small beads with a fabulous center pendant.
You could make a stunning A-symmetrical design with a feature piece off-centre.
You can group gemstones of a more dominant colour together to create a fading effect. An unusual material to use in your jewellery-making would be Carnelian. Carnelian gemstones are bright red-orange to deep, brown-orange chalcedony.
Small Carnelian gemstone beads will appear more translucent; large beads will appear more opaque. They look terrific on a unique and bold piece of bead jewellery.
We supply Chalcedony gemstones in all colours of the rainbow and, with their semi-translucent qualities, you can create many stunning effects.
More Useful Tips:
- When making up necklaces, use a split ring (to match your clasp) at each end so if you need to change the clasp, or lenthen the necklace you will be able to without re-stringing!
- Use Magic Crimping Pliers to close crimp covers. The shape of these will ensure you get a neat finish.
- Square-shaped beads and some rondel ones will sit much better if you add a small bead in between, of if you knot the beads onto silk. Choose small beads or silk that is a neutral contrast and does not take away from the main beads.
Combining Gemstone Beads
Start simple – choose just one thing to make and focus on that. Many customers have told us that when they first started they went mad and bought loads of beads and did not know where to start and what to do with them. This can be overwhelming and you may feel discouraged and put the beads away! Once you’ve make your first item you will then hopefully feel inspired to strart your next project!
Don't be disheartened by any mistakes you may make - we have all learned by our mistakes and get better and better at it!
Warning! Beading is highly addictive!
Gemstone beads look best when paired with other beads that compliment each other. When starting a project, choosing various gem stone beads that you would like to combine first is a great way to stir up the creative juices and begin your design plan. Here are some very popular gemstone bead combinations that have been selected due to their inherent qualities and gem stone properties:-
· Royal Blue Chalcedony or Agate look wonderful next to the warm yellow glow of Aragonite or honey-coloured Chalecedony
· Garnet and Brandy Tourmaline look stunning when combined with Black Onyx
· Green Jade and exudes wealth and elegance and is exquisite when paired with Amethyst. If unable to get green jade, green Amethyst also works well
· Rose Quartz is simply soft and feminine in light pink, add clear Quartz or pearls to enhance the romantic feel.
· Turquoise with its blue green sky colour is set ablaze by the fiery warmth of Carnelian. This combination is as striking as the sun setting in the sky.
Working with Loose Gemstone Beads
Working with loose gemstone beads can be tricky at times. A great beader's trick is to use a felt bead board (available for purchase on our web site) and lay your loose gemstone beads on the board. The board enables you to set up your jewellery before stringing it so you can see how the end result will look. You can also measure the length on the board in either centimetres or inches. When you are working, the felt will keep the loose gemstone beads in position and our boards also come with a lid so you can keep everything intact in between beading sessions.
We hope you find these tips useful. Please let us know of any more tips you would like us to add and we welcome feed back.
For any advice, please call or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gemstone Points: Their Meanings
If you are creating gemstone jewellery for its metaphysical meanings, you will be familiar with gemstone points. These carefully angled gemstones are perfect for wire-wrapping and worn by many for their mystical and magical purposes. Here is a listing of some popular gemstone points and their properties.
· Amethyst is worn for developing the spiritual side of your soul. It is used to overcome anxiety, stress, and addictions. It is revered as being highly spiritual.
· Lapis Lazuli is worn for self- awareness and the development of consciousness
· Jasper is known to bring strength, power, and courage. It is also used for protection.
· Citrine is revered for bringing wealth, success, and wisdom to the wearer.
· Tigers Eye is known as a grounding stone. It is used to bring the wearer into balance and adds empowerment.
Most gemstone points used for metaphysical purposes are set in Silver. Silver is said to bring self-awareness and reflection. It is believed that Silver will draw out the energies and properties of the stone that it embraces.
If you would like more information on Metaphysical Properties, please ask.